Welcome

The Parish of Chiddingstone covers

Chiddingstone, Chiddingstone Causeway, Chiddingstone Hoath and Bough Beech.


Chiddingstone is described as being the most perfect surviving example of a Tudor village in the country. Much of the village is owned by The National Trust.

The Chiding Stone is a large sandstone rock formation, and tradition asserts that the stone was used as a seat of judgement, mainly to remonstrate overbearing local wives.
The parish church of St. Mary’s is a beautiful Grade II* listed sandstone church and is, perhaps, the fourth built on the site. In the churchyard is a mausoleum dating from 1736 built by Henry Streatfeild; leading down into the family vault beneath which has a through flow of air provided by vents in two false altar tombs.   The church was almost destroyed by a lightning fire in 1624.  For more information on the church and services, please see http://www.achurchnearyou.com/

Chiddingstone Castle is a thriving visitor attraction.  It dates back to the early 1500s, owned by the Streatfeild family and in the early 1800s was re-built by Henry Streatfeild to resemble a medieval castle.  The castle was sold to Lord Astor in 1938, and then served as a base for military forces during the Second World War.  It then became Long Dene school until 1954 when the school was closed.  Please see more information about the Castle on their website http://www.chiddingstonecastle.org.uk/.

The Kent Wildlife Trust reserve at Bough Beech reservoir, is a haven for wildlife and one of the most celebrated and visited birdwatching sites in the south east. It's a great family day out for birdwatching, butterflies, historical interest, ancient trees and wildflowers.  You can also see toads, dragonflies and great crested newts.  Please log onto their website at http://www.kentwildlifetrust.org.uk/

.